Anna's Easy Mix Cocoa Cake (Gluten Free version)

Anna's Easy Mix Cocoa Cake Gluten-free Recipe - Favorite Family RecipesAnna's "Wesson Oil Cake" is one of my mother's recipes that I found in my index card file, although it was barely readable because of the discoloration of the paper. The blotches and creases tell me that it was a well-used recipe! I remember my mom preparing this cocoa cake recipe from scratch many times when she was in a hurry.

I have made Mom's Easy Mix cocoa cake recipe gluten-free in this recipe. Although it didn't rise as high as I remember my mother's cake did, it still tastes great, like rich cocoa brownies.





EASY MIX COCOA CAKE

Ingredients:

1-1/2 cups cake flour

1 cup sugar

1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa

3/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk

1/2 cup Wesson oil; alternatively, a healthy cold-processed cooking oil

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 cup boiling water


Directions:


Have all ingredients at room temperature. Sift the flour, then measure it and resift three times with sugar, cocoa, salt, and soda, the last time sifting into a large mixing bowl. Add buttermilk (or sour milk), Wesson oil, egg, and vanilla. Beat until all ingredients are blended, about 30 seconds. Add boiling water, beat another 30 seconds.


Pour into an ungreased pan lined with paper. Bake in a moderately slow oven at 325 degrees for 15 minutes, then increase oven temperature to 350 degrees for 15 minutes longer.


Remove from oven, cool on wire rack for 5 minutes. Once cooled, cut into squares. Sift powdered sugar over the top if desired.


Comments

Popular Posts