Browned Butter Walnut Chocolate Chunk Bars


To be honest, I've never had nor made cookie bars before. I've made brownies a million times (my latest creation is just phenomenal) and blondies a couple of times but never cookie bars. I know these are supposed to be like cookies but in a bar form (I am quite clever today!) but actually I found these to resemble to blondies.
BUT I stuffed them with toasted walnuts and a handful of white chocolate (maybe that's why the blondie resemblance) and to make it to the next level I used browned butter!
Seriously, what is better than using the sweet, nutty flavoured butter that will make everything taste as if you are having caramel!
There is only one con of this recipe: totally unfit for a clean eating diet. It is extremely sinful! But when else would you give in than around Halloween?? So toss the candy aside and go make some cookie bars! ;)

oh and ps: the reason the bars look so dark inside is due to my silliness. I completely forgot to add the eggs even though the dough was totally crumbly I just didn't get it. So I totally put that crumble mess in the oven just to get to my head, oh my the eggs! So i immediately got it out and stirred the eggs in. I know, I know you should never put eggs in warm dough but it wasn't that warm at all, only the chocolate melted a little bit inside so as I stirred, the half melted chocolate stirred as well thus the brownish color. Don't repeat this after me ;)

Browned Butter Walnut Chocolate Chunk Bars
use a 9X13 inch pan

200 grams (14 Tbsp) butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate, cut into chunks
3/4 cup white chocolate, cut into chunks
1 cup toasted walnuts, cut into pieces

Preheat oven to 160C or 325F.
Grease your pan.
Using a small saucepan, start melting your butter over low heat. After the butter is all melted it will form a white foam but just keep on cooking it. After about 5-8 minutes the foam will subside and your butter will have golden brown specks at the bottom. The smell will also become nutty, that's when you know it's ready. You should be careful at this point because once you get the specks it's easy to overcook the butter and it will be burnt instead of browned. Set it aside to cool.

Mix together in a medium bowl the flour, salt and baking soda.

Once the browned butter is room temp, add the sugars to it and mix. Add in the vanilla and the eggs (one at a time). Combine the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix it together. Fold in the chocolates and the walnuts.

Place the dough into the pan. Use your fingers to make it even in the pan and bake it for about 20-24 minutes.




Comments

Popular Posts