Blueberry Muffins


I've always been baffled how those sky-high muffins become so tall! I've come across a couple (more like hundreds) of muffin recipes and none of them turned out the way I always imagine my muffins. Like really tall, soft but a bit dense and marbled by some extra flavor. Like blueberries or chocolate chips or some jam or cream cheese, you get the idea... I've made some really yummy muffins, alright but I always wanted the kind I just described. The ones you buy at the bakery. Fancy bakeries, might I add. 
So when I almost gave up today to bake something, then I found this amazing recipe in Pierre Hermé's cook book. 
You know those moments when you think you're failing everything in life?
Then turn to Pierre Hermé. His recipes deliver. And anyways, baking just makes people happy, right? Mainly if you succeed and you get to take pictures of pretty blue and yellow muffins! :) This makes my bad day turn into a good day and I will hold onto it! :) Okay, I won't make you wait longer for the recipe so here it goes.

ps: I would add more sugar to it next time and I halve the original recipe because it was just way too much. 

Blueberry Muffins
makes about 12
recipe is from Pierre Hermé's Pastries

for the crumble topping
3 Tbsp (50 grams) cold butter
1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
1/2 cup (50 grams) ground almonds - I just coarsely chopped sliced almonds
7 Tbsp (50 grams) flour

for the muffin batter
3/4 or if you like it sweeter 1 cup (150-200 grams) sugar
1 tsp grated zest of a lime
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups (300 grams) flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
3/4 cup (140 grams) heavy cream
1 stick (125 grams) melted butter
1 cup (180 grams) blueberries

Preheat oven to 360F (180C).

To make the crumble, combine the ingredients with a food processor. Process until they can be formed into a ball. Set aside in the fridge.

To make the muffin batter, mix the eggs, cream and melted butter. In another bowl, sift the dry ingredients into a bowl. Incorporate the dry ingredients to the wet ones, mix until combined then fold in the blueberries. 

Using an ice cream scoop, place a scoop into each muffin holes (that you put paper in them before hand). Put the crumble on top of the batter.

Bake for 20-25 minutes. When they're ready, transfer them to a cooling rack. If you want an over the top dessert, serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Amazing!




Comments

Popular Posts