Zakuska or the Best Eggplant- Pepper Spread Ever


This recipe may not be the most exciting ever but believe me, this is heavenly! If you love eggplant (even though, you can hardly taste it), onions, bell pepper and tomato. So incredibly healthy and I wouldn't be lying if I said that I could eat this spread every single day! I already ate it with bread, with fish, with veggies... Ah-mazing! 
I seriously have no idea how I lived without this until now! :) Because I just discovered it the other day when we had lunch in a Transylvanian restaurant. Then and there I fell in love :) So I just had to recreate it on my own!
This recipe makes a lot! Like 4 jars and I'm sure it won't last a month for me! So if you want a healthy and delicious alternative to hummus or butter then this is YOUR recipe :) Hope you'll enjoy!

Zakuska - Eggplant Pepper Spread

6 medium onions - 600 grams - chopped
5 bigger red bell peppers - sliced thinly
2 eggplants
4 dl canned tomato
salt, pepper
2 dl oil

Preheat your oven to 230C. Place your eggplant on a baking sheet and make small cuts all over them. Bake the eggplants for 25-30 minutes.
Using a huge pan, cook the chopped onions in the oil for about 10 minutes. Add salt generously. Add in the bell peppers and cook until they become soft. Add pepper and more salt if desired. 
When the eggplants are ready, remove their skin and chop them into smaller pieces. Add them into the onion-bell pepper mixture and keep cooking. Pour the canned tomatoes in and bring them to a boil. Taste if you need more salt or pepper. 
When it came to a boil, then transfer the mixture to a food processor and process it until smooth and creamy. And that's it!


Comments

Popular Posts