Orange-Poppy Seed Pancakes


I woke up so incredibly happy today! Maybe due to the fact that I'd been sick for almost a whole week and could not do anything besides lying in bed. It was awful, let me tell ya!
But today, Today is a new day and I am bursting with energy! So it was a no brainer to make some pancakes for breakfast! The sun is shining, I am no longer (at least not as much) sick anymore, it's Friday so what more could I ask for? :)
I was thinking about what kinda pancakes I should make... The banana, oatmeal and buttermilk ones sounded kind of boring. But then I thought, let's throw in some poppy seeds! And make the pancakes even more spectacular than they already are with a few squeezes of fresh orange juice! Ahhh, totally amazing. Totally, utterly, completely amazing :) I ate them with some maple syrup, slices of orange and some plain greek yogurt. If I haven't already convinced you to make some, like right now, then I'll tell you, they're made with whole wheat flour and just a tiny bit of raw cane sugar. Oh and they're dairy-free! Soooo they're not only fabulous in the taste, but they're even good for you! Yay for pancakes!

Orange-Poppy Seed Pancakes
makes for 2 or 3

1 cup rice milk - or any type of milk of your choice
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup + 4 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 egg
3/4 tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp raw cane sugar
2 Tbsp poppy seeds
1/2 orange - the juice and zest of it
1 Tbsp oil

In a bowl, sift together the flours, baking soda, sugar, poppy seeds and the orange zest.
In another bowl mix together the milk and the egg. Add in the orange juice and the oil. Fold in the dry ingredients, mix well. 
Heat a griddle or a pan. Pour the batter over the pan, about 2-3 tablespoons a time. Cook on one side until you can see small holes forming on top. Flip with a spatula and cook for another minute or 2. Do the same with the rest of the batter.
Serve with maple syrup or greek yogurt or some fresh orange. Enjoy! :)



Comments

Popular Posts