Healthy Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies


Today I woke up and had the urge to bake something. At first, I was very VERY intrigued by a wonderful brownie recipe but then I came to my senses...that no, today is Wednesday! And brownies don't happen on Wednesdays around here. So I scolded myself for even thinking about it and swore that I will work out something vigorous instead :) But the scorching desire to bake something was still there! Ahhh! What to do now?
I had a bag of unsalted roasted peanuts in the pantry so first let's make some peanut butter! That's healthy. And easy. Way too easy, I needed something more. So when I have peanut butter, let's make cookies with it!! Right??? Such a lovely idea! 
I was looking through a couple PB cookie recipes and I originally wanted a no-flour kind but when I saw the amount of sugar each had... I was like no way am I gonna add 1 cup sugar to 1 cup PB. Let alone, I didn't even have 1 whole cup of PB. 

You really learn to appreciate things when you don't have a lot. I know, it's such a cliche, yet so true. In Europe, most of the things are small. Everything is packed in small quantities. Even the clothes are smaller! And when I'm in the US, I get all oooh-ahhh because there are those humongous jars of peanut butter and mayo and etc. I love those, I think it's so much fun to have a lot from something but I realize on myself that when I have a lot from something then I don't appreciate it (as much). And I tend to waste, also. But we live in a world that is rapidly reaching its limits so we shouldn't allow ourselves to waste anything. Of course, it's hard. I even waste my precious time... But trying is always the first step! :)

So where was I? :) Oh yes, cookies! So since I didn't find any recipes that fit with my standards, I made up my own cookie recipe! Feel free to change it to make it to your taste but I found that these cookies were not only awesomely good but they are sooo nutritious!! First of all, homemade, all natural, sugar-free peanut butter. Then I used raw brown cane sugar, can't go wrong with that. Then whole oatmeal, 100% whole wheat flour. And some dark chocolate chunks. Okay, there's a bit more... I added 1/2 cup butter too to make it a soft cookie :) All I can say is success! Oh! And the recipe makes about 10 big cookies! Hope you'll like them!


Healthy Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies
yield: 10 big cookies

3/4 cup peanut butter - recipe here
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup raw cane sugar
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oats
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks or chips
splash of milk

Mix together the peanut butter, butter and sugar in a bowl. In another bowl, combine the flour, oats and baking soda. Add it to the wet ingredients. Add a splash of milk if the dough is too dry. Add in the chocolate chips. Form little balls from the dough and place them on a baking sheet. Press a fork on each ball so you'll have that nice criss-cross effect. Bake them for 15 minutes on 180C. When taking out, the cookies will be still soft so leave them on the sheet for another 10-15 minutes.


Comments

Popular Posts