Eggplant-Basil Grilled Cheese on Rye


If there was a grilled cheese eating contest, I would most definitely sign up first! I've never mentioned my love for the gooey sandwich but I have a serious, long-lasting relationship with it. And it won't change anytime soon. Because really, grilled cheese is just the most perfect food of all times! It is so versatile, so easy, so quick, so filling and oh so delicious! It's melted cheese between two crispy slices of bread! Melted cheese!!!! Melted cheese is the best thing. Ever. No doubt about it so don't even try to convince me that I will get fat from it... When it comes to melted cheese, I just simply don't care about such mundane things...Like getting fat. Anyways... Grilled cheese, if you use the right ingredient, doesn't contain a whole lot of calories. Eat it with a nice salad and lunch is ready :) 

So today I had an epiphany that simple grilled cheese just won't do anymore. I want grilled eggplant in it! And OH MY. It just made the whole melted cheese, crispy bread combo even a lot more delicious than it already was! I added some fresh basil leaves, a layer of mustard and it just became something indescribably delightful! 


Eggplant-Basil Grilled Cheese on Rye
serves 2 people

2 big slices of rye bread
2 big slices of eggplant
cheese - I used gouda and as much as you prefer
1 teaspoon mustard
6 leaves of basil
olive oil


Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a pan. When the oil is hot enough, add the eggplant slices. Sprinkle them with salth and pepper and cook for a couple minutes each side, until both sides are golden brown. Now it's time to assemble the sandwich.


Spread mustard on one of the slices. You can spread on both but I like only a hint of the mustard.


Now add a few slices of cheese on top of the mustard.


You don't need a lot. Then place the grilled eggplant on the cheese.


Like this. Now pile on the cheese. You can get carried away. It's fine. :)


See? I kind of got carried away but that just made the sandwich even better! Now put the basil leaves on top.


Basil just makes everything taste better. In my opinion... Now top it with the other slice of rye and let's make grilled cheese!


Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in the same pan you grilled the eggplants. Place the sandwich in it and lower the heat so the bread won't burn. Cook each side for about 6 minutes (put some pressure on each sides) and you're ready!


So melty and delicious!


Comments

Popular Posts