Homemade Granola


My mom brought quite a lot of nuts home. Hazelnuts, almonds, peanuts, brazil-nuts and walnuts. I was so happy when I saw all the packages that I was pretty much speechless. My mind immediately started searching for a recipe that I could use all these wonderful nuts at the same time. I didn't need to think too hard, granola just popped into my head right away. I mean, DUH. Granola is healthy, very filling and is there seriously anyone who is not into this crunchy and flavorful mixture? I don't think so!

So you can imagine how excited I was to make my own oh-so-nutty granola mix! So then imagine my utter disappointment when I got the whole thing burnt. That's right. Despite my meticulous stir-in-every-10-minutes method. I put my oven 10 degrees hotter in the last 5 minutes and that's when the disaster happened. The whole thing became pitch-black. So so so annoying, let me tell ya. So all the delicious nuts and everything else went to the trash can. How sad is this! 
But I did make another batch that turned out just fine! A bit on the darker side, as well but not at all burnt! :) Oh and since I used agave syrup, it is so much healthier!

Super nutty homemade Granola

1 + 1/2 cups oats
1/4 cup brazil-nut
1/4 cup peanuts
1/4 cup almonds
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup walnuts
1/4 cup flax seed
1/2 cup coconut chips - or unsweetened shredded coconut 
1/2 dried plums
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons oil
1/4 cup agave syrup

Preheat the oven to 170C.
Chop all the nuts and plums to smaller bits. Combine together the oats, nuts, flax seed, coconut and plums together in a bowl. Mix together the oil and the syrup and pour it over the dry ingredients. Sprinkle the cinnamon and stir stir stir. Spread on a baking sheet or a baking tin as I used. 



Bake for about 30 minutes, stirring in every 10 minutes. Keep an eye on the oven at all times so yours won't burn as mine did!


Comments

Popular Posts