My favorite Oatmeal


I've mentioned it several times before that I was definitely not the oatmeal type. I despised it so much that it always puzzled me why people would eat such a nasty stuff every morning! But for 2012 I had a resolution to get back in shape and to be as healthy as possible so I started eating oatmeal every single morning. My face must have been so funny to look at in the beginning... I did not like it at all! But I kept on eating it and started experimenting with recipes, as well. I posted a few oatmeal recipes that I loved until I found the one and only recipe that made me fall in love with oatmeal! First of all, I actually don't like sweet oatmeal. How weird is that? I don't like cinnamon on it, either. Nor do I like honey or yogurt or anything these sorts. Such a weirdo, right?
But I do love a creamy and slightly salty one with a hint of vanilla. Sounds like a strange combo but believe me, it IS so so so good! Sometimes I even have this for dinner because I'm craving it!
Usually I like to mix in one whisked egg white in it so it makes me full even more but lately, I am so in love with plain and simple oatmeal that I just eat it without anything. Care to try it out? :)



Oatmeal
makes for 1 person

1/2 cup whole grain oats
1+ 1/2 cup water
2 pinches of salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon butter

Measure out the oats in a cooking bowl. Pour the water over it and place it over a very low heat. Add in the salt, stir it a bit and let it cook for 10 minutes. Stir it occasionally. When it starts to thicken, add in the vanilla and butter. Cook for 5 more minutes on medium heat. It should be thick and creamy, yet a bit liquidy (I know I just made up this word) as if you poured a little milk on it. That is the texture you should be having. 
You can add a teaspoon of cane sugar or cinnamon or whatever you feel like having in it. Enjoy :)


Comments

Popular Posts