Sourdough (lacking) Walnut Bread


I was dying to bake something, but to stick to my resolution in which I promised that baking is restricted to the weekends, I did not. So since my plans got canceled on a Friday night (ouch) I was left with a huge motivation to create something that will be edible. So how to do that? Bake and yet not bake? The idea just came to me as a lightening bolt. BREAD!!! I have never made a bread before...I mean, if I don't count focaccia, pizza and biscuits as bread products. I wanted also a walnut healthy style bread. So I started searching for recipes when my Mom showed me a flour mix that we had forever but never used it. Bread flour mix with sourdough so all I have to add is some warm water. Ehhh....Too easy to be true, right? Well, as it turned out, yes. I should have made my own dough with yeast because the mix either lacked of the sourdough or it just dyed in it... Therefore, the dough never rose up. And I did wait for a night... But after baking it, it tastes good, it tastes like those very healthy, yeast-free, whole wheat breads you buy for special diets :) We used to eat those...


It was very crunchy from the outside and pretty soft and sticky-ish from the inside. :) Sounds amazing, huh? But really, served warm it was a delicious breakfast with some butter and plum jam... 
But there is a new resolution of mine; make bread from scratch. 

As for how I made this sturdy little thing...I used this flour mix :

It is German and said I should only add 3,3 dl lukewarm water to half a kg flour mix. Nothing else. I added around a half cup chopped walnuts. I kneaded the flour mix with the water until it was a dough and then added the walnuts and let it sit on my counter for the whole night. As I already mentioned, it didn't rise so it was very sturdy but a yummy sturdy bread :)
I baked it for about 35-40 minutes on 200C. 

I will post very soon a new bread recipe that is actually from scratch!

Comments

Popular Posts