Arepas with chicken and corn


Hi everyone. I've been busy lately, working and working on the house. I hope you are all having a great summer! Today I made kind of arepas. I say kind of because I used the wrong kind of flour, but they're delicious anyway. I ate them. I filled them up with cheese and corn and chicken and deliciousness.


Arepas with chicken and corn filling

1 1/2 c masa harina
1 1/3 c warm water
1 T olive oil
a pinch of salt
1/2 of a leftover rotisserie chicken, pulled off the bone and torn into bite size pieces
1/4 c of your favorite salsa
1 chipotle pepper, chopped up
2 ears of corn, sliced off the ears

In a large bowl, combine masa and water and oil and salt. Mix with your hands, until a smooth dough forms. Preheat a lightly greased griddle pan over medium heat, and turn the oven on to 350. Roll the dough into balls and flatten them with your hands (this is a really good tutorial) then press onto the griddle. Cook about 5 minutes on each side, until firm and lightly browned, then finish in the oven for 15 minutes. The inside will still be a little sticky, that's ok.
While the arepas are cooking, make the chicken. Combine the chicken, salsa, chipotle and corn in a pan and cook over medium heat until heated through. Once the arepas are done, slice them in half like a sandwich and stuff full of chicken. I sprinkled cheese on top before I closed them up again. Makes about eight.

Comments

Popular Posts