Butternut Squash Fries


I finally took a photo of one of my black bean burgers! Isn't it delicious-looking? These have held the number one spot on the list of most-requested dishes in my repertoire since I first started feeding them to people. Anyway, I'm glad the recipe post now has a photo to tempt other people into making them. The one above is on a challah roll with havarti and sharp cheddar cheese, honey mustard, sriracha sauce, and clover sprouts. We ate them with bacon-wrapped goodies and butternut squash fries, which really don't quite evoke the name "fries" so much as "baked squash in little bits." Nonetheless, baked squash is pretty delicious in any size or shape. The idea came from a friend,


2 pounds butternut squash, seeded and chopped into fry-shaped pieces
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp salt

Preheat oven to 425º. Toss the squash in the brown sugar and lightly cover a baking sheet with cooking spray. Lay the fries out and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 30-40 minutes, turning once. They should just be starting to burn when you take them out.

These were pretty good, but they got soggy very quickly when they cooled. They didn't look much like fries because I used pre-cut pieces of squash and just hacked them into small pieces however I could. Probably won't make them again unless someone specifically wants them, because sweet potato fries are just as easy and have a slightly more interesting flavor. Glad I tried them out, though.

Comments

Popular Posts