baked eggs in ham



I came across this recipe on YumSugar the other day and bookmarked it, thinking I'd try it out for Easter (another one of those holidays I use as an excuse to cook rather than actually celebrating). I ended up having some leftover prosciutto from the Grand Central Market, though, so I figured I'd try it out a bit early. I changed up the recipe a bit, with prosciutto rather than regular sliced ham, sun-dried tomatoes rather than fresh (as always) and mozzarella cheese because it was what I had on hand. I also left out the milk, because I am just not the kind of person who keeps milk on hand.

Ingredients (per serving)

1-2 slices prosciutto (enough to double-line a ramekin or muffin cup)
1 tbsp chopped sun-dried tomatoes in oil
1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
1 tbsp grated cheese
1 egg
salt and pepper

Preheat your oven to 375º. Spray or grease a ramekin/muffin cup and line with prosciutto so that at least half an inch pokes up over the sides (much higher than mine do in the photo below). 

Sauté the sun-dried tomatoes and garlic until they both soften up a little (the oil from the tomatoes should be enough), and spoon the mixture into the prosciutto. Sprinkle the cheese on top. Use a spoon to pat the contents down, and then crack the egg on top. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the egg whites set. Salt and pepper to taste.




As you can see above, the eggs in mine sort of overflowed (needed bigger cups, smaller eggs, or more meat), but these little things tasted pretty wonderful. I had them with a salad of spinach, beets, and honey-roasted peanuts in a sesame-soy vinaigrette. They're self-contained and making a dozen would be just as easy as making two, so they'd be great for parties. I'd love to serve them at a breakfast-for-dinner potluck, stuck into cut-out pieces of toast like the best version of eggs-in-a-frame ever.

I also made a ton of seasoned breadcrumbs tonight, because I bought a baguette on Thursday but then ended up eating my dinner on a pretzel roll I found at Trader Joe's. Any ideas for what I can do with the breadcrumbs?

Brie, prosciutto, and spinach on a pretzel roll with pepper and honey.


Comments

Popular Posts