Teriyaki tempeh


Do you eat tempeh? Me neither. But now I'm going to. I bought some tempeh on a whim today and decided to cook it and eat it for dinner. Alex was sad, then he was happy. It turned out that this is delicious. Tempeh doesn't taste like much, but is firm and holds sauce well. 



Tempeh is full of protein, and a little easier to digest than tofu, I hear. The kind I bought had some veggies snuck into it, carrots and peppers. Look how healthy, I am, ma! I served this over brown rice with some kale on the side. Then Alex ate a bunch of gross kim chee. I don't like kim chee. 


Teriyaki tempeh
This is the same sauce I used for sesame tofu a while ago - next time I would double the sauce. 

1 pack of tempeh, about 8 oz
1 T oil

1/4 c honey (or brown sugar if you're vegan)
1/4 c soy sauce (gf)
1/4 c rice vinegar
1 chopped up hot chili, or 1/2 t chili flakes
2 T sesame oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4" piece of ginger, skinned and grated

Cut up the tempeh into thin strips, then cut in half. Heat up the oil in a large pan, and toss in the tempeh. Cook about ten minutes, flipping each slice after a few minutes when the first side is browned. Stir together the sauce ingredients, and pour over the tempeh. Continue cooking for about 5 minutes, until the sauce is thickened. Serve over brown rice. 


Comments

Popular Posts