Butterscotch cookies


I'm going to a party tomorrow, and could not decide what to make to bring. First I was going to make some sort of cake, then I was going to make another sort of cake, and then I was going to make cookies, and I just couldn't decide. Then I saw this recipe. I love butterscotch things. For example, this super great family favorite (butterscotch brownies). These taste kind of like butterscotch brownies, and not at all like those gross butterscotch chips that sometimes people use for things. Or sometimes eat straight out of the bag when no one's looking. Whatever, I'm not judging you.

Back to these cookies. They're good. I ate one warm, to see how they were right out of the oven, then I ate some once they'd cooled completely. You know, just to make sure they're still good. Also, the dough tastes good. So I guess these cookies pass the test. I made them a little bigger than Elise did in her recipe, and came out with an even three dozen. Maybe no one at the party will like these and I can bring them home and eat them all. Maybe with some vanilla ice cream.

Butterscotch cookies
Recipe adapted from Elise's at Simply Recipes

12 T unsalted butter
1 3/4 c dark brown sugar
1/2 t salt
1 egg
1 yolk
1 T vanilla
2 1/2 c flour mix
3/4 t xanthan gum
1/2 t baking soda
a heaping 1/4 t baking powder
Rolling sugars:
1/4 c brown sugar
2 T sugar

Preheat oven to 350. Melt 10 T butter in a pan, and cook over medium heat until it starts to brown. Don't let it get burned! There are pictures on how to brown butter here. When the butter is browned, add the other two tablespoons of butter and stir until melted. Dump the butter in the bowl of your mixer, then add the brown sugar and salt. Mix until combined, then add the whole egg, the yolk, and the vanilla (I could see using rum instead...) and mix on low until combined. Stir together the flour mixture, xanthan gum, baking soda and powder. Add the flour mixture into the sugar-butter-egg mixture in three parts, until fully mixed. In a small bowl, combine the 1/4 c brown sugar and the 2 T sugar. Roll the dough into small balls (about a tablespoon/smaller than a golf ball) and then roll in the sugar mixture. Place on a greased or lined cookie sheet, about two inches apart. These will flatten and spread a little bit as they cook. Cook 10-12 minutes until just starting to brown on the edges, then cool a minute on the pan then remove to a cooling rack.

Comments

Popular Posts