Yorkshire Pudding

Just a quick recipe for the Yorkshire Pudding I threw together to go with dinner tonight. This is definitely a solid bread-substitute, nice and spongy and just a little greasy. Doesn't really need a topping, but at Thanksgiving we usually use it to mop up gravy and the brown sugar sauce from yams.


Yorkshire Pudding

ingredients

5 ounces flour (or 1 heaping cup)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1-2 ounces melted fat (I used bacon grease)
preparation

In a bowl combine flour, salt, and milk until well blended. Incorporate both eggs and blend together until you have a smooth liquid batter. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
Preheat oven at 450°F. Place a 9x13 dish in oven and heat for 10 minutes. Place the fat into the dish and continue heating for 10 to 15 minutes. Pour the prepared batter into the dish and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, lowering the heat to 350°F after 15 minutes, until the tops of the bubbles are golden brown. Serve immediately.

I quartered the recipe (since I'm home alone and was running out of flour anyway), but used a whole egg, which made the whole thing a bit lighter than it would usually be. I might use an extra egg when making the full batch. I used bacon fat for the grease and made my pudding in a little 4x6 Pyrex baking dish. It took about 17 minutes to bake and it was delicious.

Comments

Popular Posts