Simple Butter Cookies

Third and final post of the evening! I made these because I smelled butter and started thinking about Pepperidge Farm Chessmen cookies. These are not that much like Chessmen, but they made me pretty happy. Perfect for dipping in tea, softer and more delicate than your average sugar cookie. I used a bit less flour and mixed everything with my electric mixer, mostly on its lowest speed.


Butter Cookies


Ingredients
1 cup butter (unsalted)
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
2 1/2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Procedure
- Cream the butter and sugar together until it's a bit fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- Mix the salt into the flour and stir them into the butter mixture. Beat until the dough is thick enough to gather into one lump, roll into a loaf.
- Wrap the loaf in cling wrap and refrigerate for about one hour. Slice 1/8"-thick rounds and place on parchment paper-covered or sprayed cookie sheet.
- Bake at 400F for 7-10 minutes, or until the edges are crispy and brown. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with granulated sugar, and allow to cool.

I only made nine cookies, and stuck the rest of the loaf in the freezer. It looks like it will make at least three more batches if I behave and stick to nine at a time. The thinner you cut your slices, the crisper the cookies will get. The ones I made stayed pleasantly soft (though not doughy) in the middle and crisp at the edges after overnighting in a ziploc bag. They were equally delicious fresh with raspberry tea and the next day with a smoothie. You can probably think of lots of interesting ways to flavor these as well as decorate them. I'm going to try mixing in the contents of lemon verbena tea packets next time, which is an idea I got from a blog that I can no longer find.

I also made an incredibly yummy Hungarian dish called rakott krumpli this week, but I'm waiting to go home and perfect my recipe before posting it, as it didn't turn out quite as amazing as the version my mother's boyfriend's mother made last time I was home.

Comments

Popular Posts