currant scones and citrus curd



One of my roommates dropped a bunch eggs today, and they needed to be used up, so I started baking. I remembered licking the spatula when I made my lemon curd pie a while ago, so I decided to make some for its usual purpose: spreading on scones. Currants were the only thing I could find in my cupboard that seemed like a good idea, so I found this recipe and started mixing. Unfortunately I had to run out to buy milk halfway through, because I never remember to check the fridge before I start. The scones were near perfect, soft inside and a little crunchy outside. The currants puffed up and softened nicely as well.

Currant Scones This recipe makes about nine big scones or a dozen smaller ones.

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup dried currants
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk, plus more for brushing

- Preheat the oven to 425°. In a large bowl, mix the flour with the sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in the currants.
- Add the egg and 1/2 cup of milk and stir with a fork just until the dough comes together. Do not overmix.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Gently pat the dough into a 3/4-inch-thick slab. Cut out circles of dough with a glass or cookie cutter.
- Lightly dust a baking sheet with flour. Transfer the scones to the sheet and lightly brush the tops with milk. Bake the scones for 15 minutes, or until golden. Transfer to a rack to cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Lemon Curd
Originally from this entry. I used an orange instead of a second lemon for the juice this time, but the lemon flavor definitely predominated.

1/2 cup lemon juice
zest from 1 lemon
2 large eggs
1/2 cup and 2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp butter

- in a heavy pot or in a double boiler, whisk together all of the ingredients except for the butter, and stir them over medium/medium-high (depending on how impatient you are) heat until the mixture thickens to the texture of sour cream
- cut the butter into small pieces and, removing the pot from the burner, whisk until all of the butter is absorbed. the curd can be re-heated over low heat.

Break open the scones and spoon the citrus curd in. The scones last about a day and a half in an airtight container.

Comments

Popular Posts