Székely goulash



Today I would like to recommend you a typical Hungarian dish, a dish which I like very much and also my husband's favorite.



Székely goulash (or székelykáposzta)


originally uploaded by Nóra



We call this dish "székely goulash" in spite of it's nor really goulash and neither originates from Transylvania. (The "székely" word means the székely people, who are a Hungarian speaking ethnic groups and mostly living in Transylvania. Before the first world war Transylvania was a part of Hungary. ) But our székely goulash got the name from a Hungarian journalist, who's name was József Székely. (He lived in 19th century.)

According to legend one day evening Mr. Székely was very hungry, so he went to a restaurant, but there everything had already been consumed, except some meat and some sauerkraut (pickled cabbage). "Please mix them!" said he sadly, but finally he consoled himself with the result.:)



My székely goulash is also legendary. For years before, when I've started to work my salary was very low. That time every day eating in the restaurant would have been very expensive to me, hence I always used to pack and carry the foods with me to my workplace. One day my favorite colleague Tamás (whose salary was also very low) ate my leftover lunch, which certainly was székely goulash. He found it very very delicious. :) So few weeks later on his birthday I surprised him with it, instead of a birthday cake or other birthday gift :) He appreciated both of the székely goulash and my humor :)



Oh my husband correct me just now, he says that the székely goulash is not his fav dish, only the székely goulash what I cooked :)



Actually here is the time to disclose the secrets of my székely goulash. I always use vecsési sauerkraut. This is one of the most important secret of a good székely goulash.



Vecsési sauerkraut (pickled cabbage)






Ingredients:

1/2 kilo meat (pork shoulder/leg or turkey's leg),
1 kilo sauerkraut (pickled cabbage), 1 medium onion, 1 tbs red paprika powder, water, oil, salt and ground black pepper and marjoram to taste, ingredietns for the roux: 1 cup sour cream, 1 tbs flour



Instructions:



1. Make a pörkölt (stew). I mean that heat the oil in a large pot and the sliced onions and sauté until they get a nice golden brown color. Add the meat cube and sauté together until the meat begin to whiten. Sprinkle them with paprika powder and sauté a bit more. Add the salt and ground black pepper and marjoram, pour water enough to cover the content of the pan and let it simmer on low heat for the meat is half-cooked.



2. Rinse the sauerkraut a little right (so it's not to sour too). After steam the sauerkraut on oil until it's half-cooked.



3. Add the steamed sauerkraut to the pörkölt and cooked together until the meat cubes and sauerkraut are also softened.



4. Mix a flour with the sour cream in a soup-plate and add one big spoon soup, mixed well. When cool enough the soup carefully add the whole mixed and boil again.



5. Finally if necessary add more spice and a little (just one or two teaspoon) juice of rinsed sauerkraut. This step is the second most important secret.



Bon Apetit!


Comments

Popular Posts