Cottage cheese dumplings

The Hungarian cottage cheese or "túró" (as we call it in Hungarian) has a special slightly sour flavor and a grainy consistency.



Many years ago when I was in Sweden on the last day (what I spent with my Hungarian friends in Göteborg) we wanted to surprise our Swedish hosts with pancakes stuffed with cottage. So we went to the supermarket to buy the ingredients, especially cottage cheese, but we didn't find anything, what is same type of cottage cheese like the Hungarian "túró". So our plan was unsuccessful, we realized that this food is not known in Sweden. They also have cottage, but that is different from ours.

Few years later I spent a month with a scholarship in Belgium and my experience was the same. The Belgian cottage cheese (quark) is somewhere in between the Hungarian túró and our sour cream and very delicious, but of course I like mostly the Hungarian version :)



Here you can see the Hungarian cottage cheese dumplings (túrógombóc) :)







The cottage cheese dumpling is one of my favorite desserts. I guess you would like to know the recipe. So, here you go :)



Ingredients:

500 gram cottage cheese

1 egg

9 tbs grits

salt to taste

bread crumbs

1 liter water for cooking

oil for toasting the bread crumbs



Prepare:

1. Mix well the main ingredients (cottage, grits and egg). Add little salt to taste.

2. Create dumpling forms.

3. Let rest the dumplings for at least 30 minutes.

4. Cook a few dumplings at a time in salted boiling water for about 10 minutes. After cooking put them in toasted bread crumbs.

5. Finally sprinkle with icing sugar and serve with sour cream.



I hope that nobody will steal your sour cream, how my daughter did when she was around one year old :)



Comments

Popular Posts